Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Another Quick Note About Fat Loss vs. Weight Loss

A few people have come up to me in the past and said something like, "My clothes are fitting more loosely and I can notice some changes in my body shape, but I'm not losing that much weight."

And to that I respond with, "Great!"

If you're looking better, feeling better, and your body is responding positively to your efforts then what is the problem? Do you think anyone really cares how much you weigh? Do you walk around with your weight posted on your forehead?

Seriously, weight is not that big a deal unless you are at a risk for serious diseases. Even then, excess bodyfat is the main problem. Which of these situations would you rather:

1) Lose 5 pounds of fat and 5 pounds of muscle for a total weight loss of 10 pounds.

2) Lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle for a total weight loss of 5 pounds.

Unless you haven't been following, you would probably agree that the clear choice would be #2. Don't worry about the scale if all other signs are positive.

No comments: